Friday, September 19, 2008

Poor Kelli!

With all the Instacare/ER visits we've had over the years, we've finally had a broken bone! Not that a broken bone is something you ever hope for when you go to the ER. :o) Poor Kelli was the lucky winner. Here's the story:

About 2:30am Thursday morning, I woke up to hear someone crying hard--it was Kelli. Through the sniffles & tears, she told me that she had fallen out of bed--from the top bunk! I was quite concerned when she said her arm was hurting (mostly her wrist), & gave her some Tylenol to help with any aches. My first thought was, "Is it broken?" but after having her move her hand around & twist, I could see she had some movement & wasn't too upset about it. Do you remember when Kelli got her hand/wrist slammed in the door up at Bear Lake? I figured it would be the same outcome as that--Dr. would say it was just tissue damage & to keep icing it. So I iced it, gave her Tylenol, & sent her off to school Thursday morning. She was a bit more sore coming home from school, so we iced it more, & gave her more Tylenol. I wanted to take her in, but was still fighting the urge, thinking of what the Dr. said last time. Well, this morning, I could fight the urge no longer! Her arm just wasn't feeling better--it was feeling a bit worse! We had to go to the Instacare facility, since our family Dr. was out of town & his radiologist was on maternity leave & we'd have to go elsewhere for the x-rays anyway. Sure enough--it's a buckle fracture on the radius bone, right near the left wrist. I should have just taken her in yesterday! It's a very common type of break & usually heals beautifully--no worries for her wrist in the future. (She'll be a great athlete/musician yet!) She's got a splint on her arm right now--she'll be wearing that until the swelling goes down, & Monday afternoon she'll get a cast. She's thinking light blue would be nice. :o) It's going to make soccer interesting. She's having a really hard time not getting it dirty or wet. How many weeks are we going to do this?!!! This is nuts!!!


Addie's also been getting beat up--she tripped & biffed it hard on her face while trying to skip. Shame on me for suggesting that she skip down the side walk! Poor girl! The scabs looked pretty nasty the next day--all over her bottom lip, top lip, above her top lip, & on her chin. I don't know why, but that girl just can't seem to land on anything but her face! We need to teach her to put her hands out a little bit further in front of her--she's always rocking off of them onto her face before the fall stops. Mom, was I this accident prone? I know I'm a bit clumsy, but really!!!She's getting excited to go to school, though she doesn't have much attention span to work on her letters. (Even if I make it fun with M&M's...this just might be interesting trying to teach her!)

Taylor's getting stronger each day--I had her sitting up for a while today. It wasn't totally on her own & she was making sounds like her tummy was getting squished, but she was still pleased!

Mikey's been having fun playing a new game that he & his friends call "Mario Kart Live," which basically means they ride around on their bikes pretending to be characters from Mario Kart 64. It's pretty funny to hear them play--"Ha, ha! I just got you with a green shell!" Well, I hear someone else crying...better go! Hopefully it's not another visit to the Instacare!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, you've been having fun! I guess with my mom being gone we didn't hear about poor Kelli's arm. And Addie may have inherited her clumsiness, especially not putting her hands out from me. Hence the broken tooth multiple times. At least Mikey seems to be having fun and Taylor is as cute as ever!
Love Melissa

Jamie said...

Joy, don't sweat it on Kelli's arm. My mom waited 11 days to take my sister in for a hurt arm. It was her Right arm and she is left-handed. So my mom just told her to buck up. Then when (11 days later) she reached over with her left hand the close the car door, my mom took her in. And wala it was broken. Anyhow, if you are feeling like a bad mom for waiting 24 hours, don't!!! It's so hard to know. Anyhow, glad it's an easy (well, coulda been worse, right?) fix. Just a cast for 4/6 weeks or so which to her will seem like forever. :) Sorry Kelli!!!! Get better soon!!!!