Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Our Taylor Noel

Good morning - I've been attempting to start a blog for our family for several months now, and Taylor's birth is the perfect opportunity to finally make a post and get some pictures loaded for all to see. For those of you curious to know all the details, I was typing out some of the activities of the day as it happened yesterday. It may be more than you want to know, but... if so, oh well. You don't have to read it :)

7:30 am - called hospital to see when we would be induced. Found out we were next in line, but no promise as to what time. Only that we need to be ready to come in.

8:45 -Hospital called us back.

9:20 - We got to the hospital. The nurse was Pam. She had Joy hooked up in the bed and put on Pitocin by 10:00 (at a level of 4). Dilated to 1 at Dr office on Friday. Checked today and she is at a 2. We're in room A10.

10:35 - Joy is still smiling and beautiful. Pitocin increased to 8.
10:50 - Dr. Terry came in and broke the water, put a monitor on the baby's scalp, and confirmed dilated to a 2.

11:45 - upped pitocin to 12
12:15 - contractions off the charts, but Mom still smiling (until I asked her if she wanted me to record the delivery with the camcorder - that's a negative :))

1:00 - pitocin increased to 20. I left to go get some lunch. Spaghetti and garlic bread - delicious.

1:40 - Joy is getting tired of sitting in bed. She's up and dancing a jig next to her bed. (She has mixed feelings about... Never mind)

1:50 - My prediction for when baby will be born - 4:09. Joy's prediction -3:35. Weight - 8 lbs. 2 oz. For Joy. Mark - 7 lbs. 12 oz. (added later - Wow - We were both way off on both predictions!)

3:20 - internal contraction monitor added.

4:50 - pit increased to 24. Harder contractions. More uncomfortable, a bit of back labor. The beautiful girl still smiling, but says, "Ow".

5:45 - standing and rocking next to bed. Getting more painful contractions. Joy seems determined to do this one without an epidural. She hasn't completely ruled it out, but the doctor said they are doing back to back C-sections, so the anesthesiologist will be busy the next little while.
6:30 - This hard work works up an appetite. Chicken broth, coming up. (Only juice and ice chips since the Marshmallow Matey's this morning)

6:45 - Dr. Terry checked again. Not much change, so order up the epidural. It was a valiant effort without it, but the pain should be less pain soon.

7:30 p.m. - Taylor Noel is born! 9 lbs! Lots of dark hair and plenty chubby. Beautiful girl! It took a couple minutes to hear that first little cry, so when it came, what joy and relief we both felt. She's very healthy and doing well. Joy was amazing! My mom helped out tremendously by watching the kids all day and putting them to bed at night. I've attached some pictures below for those who want to see more day 1 pictures. We'll try to update with more as we get them. Enjoy!
How embarrassing! One of my first pictures - naked and on a scale? How dare you, daddy?

Joy and Taylor

Proud parents - photo by Dr. Terry (Taylor was unavailable for the picture due to a previous dinner appointment)

Precious baby!


Taylor, meet Kelli G, your new second mother

Grandpa Harker has a new friend

Um... is she really old enough to hold me?

The proud big brother, Mikey


Grandma Harker to the rescue





Press play for the small video of Taylor below:


5 comments:

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I am a very proud and happy Auntie Bonnie over here!

I am SO happy you started this blog. Blogging is a great way to keep in touch and see what is going on!

I also put pics of Taylor on my blog this morning as well :c) She is beautiful!

Bonnie

Bill Cox & Family said...

What a cutie! I'm so jealous that you get to have the chubby babies, how fun. Can't wait to meet her!

Sarah

sis said...

Congratulations Harkers! Joy, you are a supermom, in the superhereo way. What a beautiful girl. I can't wait to meet her.
~Sarah Colby

Jackie Stringham said...

She is darling! Congrats, I am so happy for your family. If you need any help (meals, a break so you can sleep, chocolate)I am more than willing. Just let me know. So very happy for your family.

Jackie Stringham

Maren Nielsen said...

Congrats Harker Family! She is an angel and what hair! We sure miss you in Young Women. I showed the girls the pictures last night and they were so happy for you and thought she was so cute. Take care!