Thursday, June 26, 2008

Could it get any better?!

I had a great laugh today--being the end of the school year (for year-round students), Mikey brought home some new reading material for me to enjoy. And enjoy it, I have!!!!


There were many works of art--pictures he had drawn, collages he had made from leaves, paintings, etc. Then there were many 'poems' he had written--one quite creative poem about 5 little leprechauns (Two little Leprechauns Singing with a bat.. One said, 'This is too silly', So they sang with a rat.), though the ending has me a bit worried: "One little Leprechaun , Guarding with polite, He was so polite, So we started a fight. I was fighting alright, But he was too fast. He hit me and he kicked me, And so I had a cast. " (anyone else a bit concerned?)


There was even an apology note to one of the other 2nd grade teachers, Mrs. Cheek. (Mikey had an interesting year). My favorite part, I found, was in reading all the little 'creative writing' entries. They are a bit hard to read, so try clicking on the picture to see it bigger. That might help. :o) Or just read the translations I worked so hard on. That just might be a bit easier.

This one is for you, Uncle Kelly!


TRANSLATION (no corrections made): "I have an Uncle named Kelly. He is realy fun. He has an ex box. I love to play a game on it and I am the captain and I go in a plane. And I beated the hole game once. Oh my uncle Kelly beated it once to. And I feel realy good that he is in my family. Oh and he is maried to somone name Mary."


I'm sorry, Mary, that you are just 'someone'--you think he would have realized you were his Aunt Mary long before Uncle Kelly joined the family! :o) Maybe he saw the joke in the wordplay. In any way, it's amazing the power an Uncle can have if he owns an X-box & loves to wrestle with his nephews & nieces. :o)


This next one is a bit incriminating. Just for the record, Mikey...Mom ALWAYS knows!
TRANSLATION: "I went to my grandmas house. My mom said I could not play computer games. But I sneaked into the computer room and played computer games. When mom came home I went into the bathroom quickly. Then I told mom I only went upstairs to use the bathroom. When we got home it was 9:11. So we went to get ready for bed and read scriptures. Then we said prayers and went to bed."

So...Mikey? Did it ever occur to you that you shouldn't put your lies on paper for all to read & discover? MOM KNOWS!!!! (It gets pretty obvious to deduce when you see your son diving towards the bathroom from the other side of the hallway where the computer room is located!) :o) You think there would be a degree of guilt in what he did when he got to the scripture & prayer part.... Hmm.....

This one is for Mikey's other favorite Uncle, Drew (not that he doesn't have any other favorite Uncles!--he has lots!)

TRANSLATION: "I went to my grandmas house. The first thing I did was I kicked off my shoes and ran upstairs and played computer games. I played for a while then my dad came up, he told me to come down stairs and play with rest of the family. When I came down uncle Drew was here he was my favorite uncle. I saw my aunt Ambree was here. She was playing uncle Drew's Wii. I played with her. Before she opened the leaf cup. It was hard."

Sorry Ambree. The Wii is now Drew's property (at least according to Mikey). Congrats on the Leaf Cup--no one told me! We should have thrown a 'leaf party!' Sorry Drew--I don't know if Mikey actually meant 'was my favorite uncle' or if it was just the trend of past tense/present tense Mikey used when writing. I'm sure he still likes you! :o)

Here's a bit of good news--Mikey has finally finished all the requirements to earn his "Bobcat" in cub scouts. I'm pretty sure that the reward of picking two 'things' from the "Magic Bag" helped Mikey get motivated. He didn't know what was in there, but was very pleased when he got to choose--the "Magic Bag" is full of Nintendo 64 games we recently got. Here he is playing the Star Wars game he picked out. It sounds like he plays games all the time, but he really doesn't. I'd say he gets in more reading time & homework time & scouting time each week than he 'gets in' gaming time. You can see why he loves it so much--he has to work hard to get it!

Great work Mikey--we're very pleased with you (even though you try to get away with playing games, claiming to be using the bathroom!) Love you, kiddo!

2 comments:

team wilson said...

Isn't it crazy how fast they grow and how smart they already are. He is a one bright cookie. I hope you guys are all doing well. We miss you!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Hahahahha! I see Joy has taken over the blog officially now that she has dooded it up with ribbons and bows and cute fabric borders! Yes Mark,it's now no-man's land.. :cD

Hey Joy,do you get my comments when I post them here or is it better to email you? Do you have email notification set for your blog? Just checking :c)

Love you Sis!
(The invisible Auntie)
Bonnie